Hathersage to Worksop Pipeline – 42km Severn Trent Water Main

Hathersage to Worksop Pipeline

Does the 42km Severn Trent Water Main Affect You?

You could receive Compensation Payments


Miller & Miller Independent Rural Chartered Surveyors, Land Agents & Valuers are experts in all aspects of utility compensation should your land be affected by an existing or proposed pipeline, including the Hathersage to Worksop pipeline.

Severn Trent Water (STW) are to lay a new 700mm diameter 42 km water main from Hathersage to Worksop and you may be affected.

If approached by Severn Trent Water your land will likely be required for either the pipe to be laid or for a compound to facilitate construction, either way you are entitled to payments and compensation under the Water Industry Act 1991 and under general Compulsory Purchase Acts and Codes.


Compensation – How much will I get paid?

Land Value

The level of compensation payable will depend on many factors not least the value of the land the Hathersage to Worksop pipeline crosses. For instance if the land has planning consent or has planning potential then this may be compromised due to the proposed pipeline and the sums payable have to address the losses incurred by the landowner. As valuers we are able to assess the losses and negotiate these with STW on your behalf.


Depreciation and Injurious Affection

If the Hathersage to Worksop pipeline crosses for instance residential gardens there is likely to be some form of depreciation to the house or adjoining land due to the presence of the pipe.

Once constructed and the pipe is in the ground STW will issue an “as laid plan” showing the location of the pipe. Under the Water Industry Act 1991 STW will have rights to carry out future works on the pipe – ie your land is now fettered and your rights as an owner are restricted on what you can and can’t do over the protected width stipulated by STW.

It is not just the pipe which is protected but an additional width either side of the pipe is included which is also protected (eg say 10m). This is a significant strip of protected land over which STW has full powers and rights of access over.

As a guide Severn Trent Water has stated:


What you can do:
  • Use the strip of land for agricultural or garden purposes or as an open space
  • Place fences over the line of the pipe which are of an easily removable nature
  • Place sewers drains pipes cables or wires within the strip of land (subject to consulting with STW first)
  • Construct a street road or access across the strip of land (subject to consulting with STW first)


What you should not do:
  • Construct on the strip of land any building wall or structure whether permanent or temporary even for agricultural or garden purposes
  • Use the strip of land for any purpose which may endanger injure or damage the pipe
  • Remove any earth supporting the pipe
  • Plant trees or shrubs within the strip of land
  • Alter the level of the surface of the strip of land whether by excavation or tipping of any materials
  • Make access to the pipe more difficult or expensive eg by special or ornamental surfacing
  • Cover apparatus which has been placed on the surface of the strip of land eg manholes, air valves etc
  • Allow any piling operations
  • Use the strip of land for the passage of heavy vehicles


The above restrictions can depreciate your property and adjoining land. It is important you understand the full impact of these restrictions and the impact they can have on the future use of your property in the future. It may have a bearing when you come to sell? We are able to assess and argue depreciation with STW as part of your claim.



It is important you keep a good diary record of all your time (especially if an owner of a business) and costs incurred arising from the scheme. After all your time is precious and should be spent on running your business not on STW’s pipeline! We are here to assess all your costs to ensure you are fully compensated.


Hopefully the above article shines light on some of the issues associated with pipelines and how they affect your property. If affected or require further information contact David Miller MRICS FAAV at Miller & Miller on Tel: 0114 327 0120. We are here to help.